Friday, July 30, 2010

Ecuador Day 1: Travel

I sit here on the AA flight 967 heading to Quito. We're about 35 minutes out from the airport. It's been a long day of travel. Mom and I left for Cincinnati at 9:30 this morning. I was thankful to get to spend some time with her as she's been in KY for 2 months and I've seen her for a total of less than 36 hours of it between my travel and her travel.The flight from Cincinnati was pretty painless, but it ended up being just what I needed. It's amazing how God chooses to speak to us. On the flight from Cincinnati to Miami, I decided to listen to my iPod some and a CD by Acoustix caught my eye. They're a barbershop quartet who have a good Christian album called O Worship the King. Just a few minutes before, it had hit me that I was about to be in another country to do an internship and teach. This is also my first time traveling out of the country without going with a group. I'll admit that I was freaking out a bit, especially about teaching. It's very intimidating and I feel rather inadequate. I'm mulling this all over while listening to the CD when the song "Fear Not My Child" came on. If you've never heard it, you should look it up. I'd heard it before, but never like this (and I've listened to this album a bunch of times). It came on right when I needed it. It also directed my thoughts to something E. Stanley Jones says in Christ of the Indian Road. He talks in there about how when he preached his first sermon, he got derailed very quickly after mispronouncing a word and making a college girl snicker. He realized then that God had not called him to be God's lawyer, but rather to be his witness. He talked about how God had always provided him with what to say as long as he sought what God wanted him to do. This is not an excuse to be lazy, but it does help me realize just how much I must rely on God and not myself. I just pray that God gives me wisdom and direction as I finish preparing to teach classes. This is easily the most intimidating thing I've ever had to do.
Update: It took me over an hour to get through Immigration and Customs because several flights were running late and all landed close together. Once I made it through Immigration, which was painless, I picked up my luggage and zipped right through Customs. It was the easiest time I've ever had going through Customs and Immigration. I think the fact that it was past midnight really helped things along. The Lamberts were waiting for me as I cleared customs. They were a welcome sight! We walked out to their car and made a beeline for the house. Dad had described the house to me, but he did not do it justice. It's absolutely beautiful. My room is the spear room. It has that name because there are spears on the walls. It's awesome! The big window looks right out onto Cayambe making for an incredible view. I crashed hard shortly after getting to the house, and that was the end of day one.

No comments:

Post a Comment