Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Wild At Heart

About a year ago, the college age guys at Northside read and discussed Wild At Heart by John Eldridge. In the book, he talks about how all guys are hardwired with three major desires; adventure, battle, and to win the beauty. Now I can believe this for two reasons. First, I'm a guy. Second, every guy I've ever met seems to express these desires at some point, even the biggest pacifist at some point seems to want adventure and battle, even if it's just sword fighting with those cardboard tubes leftover from wrapping paper.
Now some guys actually like musicals, and I'm one of them. I'm ok with it. Shrek the Musical is a fairly new musical to Broadway. So new, in fact, that the cast recording won't be released until the end of the month. BUT, thanks to the wonders of youtube and the internet, I've seen and heard most of the major songs. Brian d'arcy James, the man who plays Shrek, was on the Today Show recently and sang one of the songs, "Who I'd be." I promise I'm going somwhere with this. In the song, Shrek expresses those three desires that Eldridge talks about in his book. You can tell from the lyrics that the lyricist was probably a man, and it was. Anywho, I kind of lost my train of thought...
oh! Check out the video. The actual singing starts at about 1:50.

While there's a lot more to Wild at Heart than just those three desires, they're a big part of it, and this song seems to capture them well. Now back to writing that paper that's due in 9 hours...

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jonathan, you are so wonderful! :) Ooh, and check out that guy's eyebrows. Those are some massive wolley worms (haha, Kentucky words for caterpillar)right on his face!

    ReplyDelete